Thursday, September 30, 2010

Movie Magic


This week I bring you exclusive photographs from the set of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo",  the soon-to-be international blockbuster, which just so happens to film some of its scenes in Uppsala. 

Of course they closed down several blocks of the city during the day for when the filming was being done, and I did not see Daniel Craig, the star of the film. But at night, they opened the streets up again, and it was possible to see the set and the changes they had made. 

For instance, the store above is not at all a "Mjolk Bar", but instead a convenience store. Similarly a DVD rental was transformed into a butcher shop ("Charcuiterie"). 


The scenes being shot in Uppsala are to be used in a flashback set in the 1960s. This was the reason for changing some of the store facades. The sign above is meant to evoke the '60s, because that was the last time food was so cheap. I'm not sure if this sign will actually feature in any way in the film, and the audience is unlikely to pick up on the prices if they are just in the background. Oh well, I'm not a director so what do I know. 


These facades are also fake. One sign here advertises a radio and TV repair, which is an entirely fictional business. 

The filming will continue next week for another three days. Perhaps I'll meet Daniel Craig then. I have only read a part of the first novel, I should read the rest but I feel embarrassed to read them while in Sweden, like it's too much of a cliche or some kind of kitschy tourism.

No comments:

Post a Comment